Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I freaking LOVE New York

So, in case you all did not know, I have been studying (or should I say PRETENDING to study) for the bar exam over these last few weeks. I just took the NY portion of the bar - okay, yes, I live in New Yawk City. I am a Jewish American almost lawyer stereotype, leave me alone! But anyway. First things first. The NY part of the bar was really not that bad! Here I was sleepless, worrying, and freaking out for WEEKS now, and it turned out to be not that bad! I was shocked! And that's the worst part of the test! I was thinking "this is an exam???" I mean, I still could fail, technically, but at this point I would be a bit surprised if I did! Whoa! But anyway, back on topic. Walking out of the Javits Center, which is probably a terrorist target right now, I mean what with thousands of would be law-yas crammed in one space, I stepped into the bright sunlight, and I saw...people. Mixing together. People of all different races and ethnicities. I saw my non-Jihadist Muslim friends from law school, and I saw Jews...mixing...talking...able to engage in peaceful conversations. Then walking home, getting out of the subway, I saw, on one block, a Middle Eastern man, a black man, a blonde woman, and a Chinese woman. All walking next to each other like nothing was wrong! And I thought to myself..."Self. Maybe there is hope in the world. Maybe people can live together in peace and harmony and sing koombaya and dance around in the forrest and be happy with rainbows and flowers and humingbirds. Maybe the world is not such a bad place after all!" And so, in honor of the greatest city on the planet (that I have ever visited, anyway), I want to salute New York City. New York, the city that never sleeps. New York, with its urban beat and unbelieveable vastness that really is a small town, when you get down to it. New York, the city that has 8 million people, and yet I seem to run into people I know all the time by chance. New York, the city of fashion, of entreprenurialism, of the media, and of ordinary working class Americans living their lives, just getting by, and living side by side. Does New York City problems? Sure, there are problems. But if a city like New York can exist on this planet, there is hope for us all yet. New York is the city that stole my heart and soul. No matter where I am in the world or where I end up, I know that my heart will always be singing that New York State of Mind.

Some folks like to get away, take a holiday from the neighborhoodHop a flight to miami beach or hollywood.

Im taking a greyhound on the hudson river line-Im in a new york state of mind.

I seen all the movie stars in their fancy cars and their limousines, Been high in the rockies under the evergreens, But I know what Im needing and I dont want to waste more time-Im in a new york state of mind.

It was so easy living day by dayOut of touch with the rhythm and the blues, But now I need a little give and take,The new york times, the daily news...

It comes down to reality-and its fine with me cause Ive let it slide...Dont care if its chinatown or riverside, I dont have any reasons, Ive left them all behind-Im in a new york state of mind.

Repeat 3rd verseIm just taking a greyhound on the hudson river line-cause Im in a new york state of mind.

I actually sang that song in a singing Irish pub in Ireland. Little known fact about me: I have sometimes taken to kissing the airplane when I get back to NYC after a trip. It seems that the further the go, the more I miss home. No joke. New York, my love, my life. As Carrie from Sex and the City said: "I'm dating the city. I think it's pretty serious, I think I'm in love!" When blogger works, I will upload some images I have taken of the greatest city on earth.

2 comments:

Mark said...

okay ya had me going 'til ya got to the rainbows, flowers and hummingbirds part, what part of the city is THAT in? LOL

despite the fact I think there's WAY too many in your new profession already,(an early) congrats on your passing the bar (although I REALLY think a fine lady who finds rainbows and hummingbirds in manhattan didn't really "pass" the bar, she walked right in and ordered a double!)

Red Tulips said...

Mark:

Thanks, but I don't count my chickens until they hatch! We'll see if I pass the bar.

As far as the rainbows, flowers, and hummingbirds, I was being cute. That said, you would be surprised! NYC is a lovely place - go to Central Park or the Botanical Gardens - you really will see such things!