Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Michael Totten writes of his travels to Northern Israel

...and it sounds much like Lisa Goldman's. Go read it! Michael Totten is very eloquent. I think there is simply the widespread phenomenom to tune out extraneous details in order to get through the day. For instance, after 9/11, I moved to NYC and started working in Times Square, in the Conde Nast building. I knew I was working in a target - a famous building where movies have been filmed, in the heart of Times Square, that produces magazines such as Vogue and Glamour - I am sure the Islamofascists ain't happy with such magazines! But, I never really thought about it. I went to work and pretty much ignored the terror threat. That's what all New Yorkers did and do. It's called the human coping mechanism, and it's how we get through the day. If we thought about terror threats all the time, not only would the terrorists win, but we'd go mad. And so we don't think about it. But the trouble is, there is a fine line between the human coping mechanism and complacency. I hope to never be complacent.

No comments: