Thursday, August 3, 2006

Jamaica, mon!

After I wrote my post earlier today about Jamaica, I figured I owed it to all of you to have a follow up post. For a quick primer on the history of Jamaica, I suggest going to wikipedia. But that is just the beginning! There is this beautiful photo spread - must see - which features Jamaica in its splendor. I also suggest visiting the following online exhibit of Jamaican art. However, most of all, you should check out google news's Jamaica feature. I found out some interesting facts through this site. I found out that the Bahia Principe, a 1,918-room hotel in Runaway Bay under construction and planned to be Jamaica's largest resort, which I saw along the side of the road while I was in Jamaica, collapsed yesterday. It killed one person, and injured 16. The press for this is...oh right, not exactly covered in the cable news shows. Searching the web, I even found a cool recipe for Grandma Audi's tamarid balls. Mmm...I want to make those! But no press concerning the poor in Jamaica - not even from Jamaican publications. This is distressing and not surprising. There was not a single article found ANYWHERE about the big road blockage I encountered, and the Jamaicans who now are 2+ weeks without water. If a tree falls in the forrest and nobody hears it, did it fall?

No comments: