Monday, February 20, 2006

Control of U.S. Ports handed over to...UNITED ARAB EMIRATES?!?!

This is not necessarily related to media/intellectual property/free speech/civil rights law. But it is important nonetheless. Evidently, in two weeks the control of our ports will be taken over by a company based in the United Arab Emirates. When I read this, I had to do a double take. Of all the stupid, cockamaney, out of this world things that I have read over the years, this seems to be up there with the stupidest of them. As you may or may not know, only 5% of cargo is checked by U.S. Customs when it comes into our ports. The rest of the cargo - 95% of it - is checked by whatever company controls our ports. Currently, the company is British. The company is set to be taken over by one based out of the United Arab Emirates - a country that is known to be one of the biggest supporters of the Taliban. Just think about that one for a second. Meanwhile, Condoleeza Rice said, with respect to this program, it was “the considered opinion of the U.S. government that this can go forward.” Of course the ports are located in all the centers with large Jewish populations. That should go without saying. CONSIDERED OPINION?!?!?! This has to be one of the most outrageous things I have read in years. Then again, I wonder if there's really a big difference between a company based out of the United Arab Emirates checking the cargo, or Halliburton. When you really consider that, it's pretty sobering.

No comments: