Read more about another aspect of Winograd right here.
Personally, I think this is great idea. I think Israel should honestly look at whether it committed 'war crimes' or not. But in turn, let's see the press publicize the fact that Israel is such a strong democracy, that it is willing to have a commission examine this issue. I also would love to see a commission examine Hizballah's war crimes. Maybe Winograd will do that?
Predictions...(and you do not need to be a swami to figure this out)...
- The report will find at least some 'war crimes' committed by Israel as war is hell and there are always war crimes committed during war. You cannot win a war without committing war crimes.
- The report will also address Hizballah's war crimes (which are much more serious, as they, unlike Israel, purposely aimed for civilians and in fact started the conflict).
- The media will ONLY highlight Israel's 'war crimes.'
- Olmert and cronies will remain in power, after all, Olmert said recently that Kadima will remain in power and he will be PM - despite his 0% approval rating. He will remain in power, no matter what Winograd says.
- Israel will not be praised for being such a strong democracy, that it even is willing to be this critical of itself.
These are my predictions, but I assure you that one does not have to be gifted with supersensory perception in order to figure these things out.